Local Team Shines in Long Beach
The Women's One Design Challenge hosted by Long Beach Yacht Club October 20-22, 1995, was a success for the San Francisco Bay Area team skippered by Liz Baylis. Baylis posted a second in the regatta with her team which consisted of Melinda Erkelens, Stephanie Wondolleck, Anna Desenberg, Aimee Hess, Karina
Vogen, Liz Whitney, Chris Page, Jodi Lee, Helena Cannady.
The regatta was won by Liz Hjorth topping off her 8th place finish in the Adam's Cup (representing Area J).
Her crew included Cheryl Mahaffey, Alice Leathy, Susan Beckett, Julia
The match racing regatta is sailed yearly in Catalina 37's following many other local women's events. Competition was tough for the only Northern California team. In her first appearance at this regatta, Baylis contended with America3 Women's Team afterguard Anne Nelson and her "Live Bait" crew, local favorite and returning champion Linda Elias, and skipper Ann Becker who returned this year with Olympic sailor Carolyn Ulander as tactician.
Also crewing in the regatta was event organizer Carol Armitage who did an outstanding job with the competition, sponsorships, social events and prizes.
5 races - windward / leeward courses
- Liz Hjorth / California YC: 5,3,.75,.75,.75; total 10.25
- Liz Baylis / Richmond YC: 2,.75,4,3,3; total 12.75
- Susanne Worthington / Alamitos Bay YC: .75,4,3,5,6; total 18.75
- Anne Nelson / San Diego YC: 6,6,6,2,4; total 24
- Linda Elias / Long Beach YC: 3,5,7,4,8; total 27
- Michelle Miller / Cabrillo Beach YC: 9,2,5,8,5; total 29
- Mary Anne Wilson / Long Beach YC: 7,7,2,7,7; total 30
- Kelli Farrar / Cortez Racing Assoc: 11,10,9,9,2; total 41
- Kathy Hewitt/ SSYC: 8,9,10,6,11; total 44
- Ann Becker / Balboa YC: 4,11,11,10,10; total 46
- Debbie Helling / King Harbor YC: 10,8,8,11,9; total 46