- Benchmarking, a tool for systematically finding and emulating best practices, laid out in one quick how-to (9k), and discussed by Robert Camp of Xerox (26k), one of the pioneers of the technique:
You have to look continuously for better practices. There is no finish line.
For further discussion, the Web site for The American Productivity & Quality Center and the International Benchmarking Clearinghouse includes selected articles from Continuous Journey.
- For Deming mavens, the Clemson University BBS carries a number of articles on Total Quality Management. But serious Deming-heads join the Deming Electronic Network.
- The "Future Search," an effective tool for coherently shifting the direction of entire organizations and communities, discussed by Marvin Weisbord, author of Discovering Common Ground (33k).
- Gender and Culture as drivers of change in the workplace, discussed by Judy Rosener, author of America's Competitive Secret (29k).
- The Grid System for assessing the interactions of personalities in organizations, discussed by Robert Blake, its co-inventor (24k).
- Healthy Communities, a method for improving entire communities, cities, and regions (9k)
- Building a community from the ground up (Disney's new effort is profiled in Celebration: Technostalgia), as one method of making a healthy community. (27k)
- The "Healthy Company"strategies, discussed by Robert Rosen, author of The Healthy Company: Eight Strategies to Develop People, Productivity, and Profits (23k).
- Leadership as a change strategy, discussed by Ronald Heifetz, author of Leadership Without Easy Answers and director of the Leadership Education Project at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government (23k).
- Complex, adaptive, biological systems as a way of understanding the deep structure of change in organizations and communities, discussed by Kevin Kelly, author of Out Of Control in an interview (32k), and in "The Quotations Of Chairman Kelly," (11k) a point-counterpoint in which we unpack aphorisms from his work and show what they mean in the study of change.
- A companion interview with net pioneer and author Howard Rheingold, on the craft of building a virtual community (8k).
- How do you achieve personal mastery? We interviewed 14 great athletes to find out how they did it (35k).
- Building a Visionary Organization is a do-it-yourself project, according to James C. Collins, co-author of a fascinating study of the world's greatest corporations (32k).