Judy Malloy: Family History

Barbara Lillard Powers and W. Langdon Powers

My mother, Barbara Lillard Powers, 1916-2001 (a graduate of Radcliffe College) was Editor of the Winchester Star; Editor of the Somerville Journal; and then Managing Editor of the Somerville Journal; the Cambridge Chronicle; and the Watertown Press. (all in Massachusetts)

Barbara Lillard Powers in Texas near the US Army Camp Hulen

In 1968 she won a New England Press Association (NEPA) Honorable Mention for Best Editorial for her editorial "Second Knock" that set forth the reasons why the town of Winchester should vote for participation in the Metropolitan Council for Educational Opportunity (METCO) program that would bring Black inner city children to Winchester's schools -- emphasizing the importance of giving ghetto children an "educational and environmental boost toward an equal footing with white children."

She also won second place for Best News Story for an article on the METCO program.

Other editorials on the pages of the Winchester Star while she was Editor included a May 29, 1969 observation that the amount of money that would be spent on the July 1969 moon launch was worth an entire year's allocation for health research.

She worked also as an advocate for autistic people in support of my autistic brother. She died on October 10, 2001 of lung cancer that metastized rapidly to her brain.

One of her Lillard family ancestors was the Scottish woman warrior Maid Lilliard, who was central in the defeat of the English at the Battle of Ancrum Muir.

W. Langdon Powers

My father, W. Langdon "Ike" Powers, 1911-1969 (Dartmouth College, Harvard Law School) attained the rank of Lt-Colonel in the U.S. Army. During World War II, he served in the European theater. Before he was wounded, he landed on the beaches of Normandy in the D-Day operation and fought on the European front. He received a bronze star and a purple heart.

He was a trial lawyer as well as Assistant District Attorney, Middlesex County, MA; Assistant District Attorney, Suffolk County, MA; and Chief Assistant U.S. Attorney for Massachusetts.

A lecturer at Boston University Law School and Suffolk School of Law, he also played hockey for a professional team in Boston and was selected to go to the Olympic trials, although he was not able to go.

Dartmouth College Football Scoring Leaders -- Wilbur Powers 1932
Dartmouth College Hockey Four Goal Games -- Wilbur Powers, 1934

Barbara Powers and W. Langdon Powers were divorced around 1963.

My Father died of liver cancer on January 19, 1969 at age 55.

W. Huston Lillard

My mother's father, Walter Huston Lillard, ("Cappy") an educator who promoted International peace, was headmaster of Tabor Academy for many years.

As a young man, he was the color guard for American day at the International Paris Exposition of 1900, carrying the American flag down the Champs Elysee. The band master was John Philip Sousa. Sousa played "The Stars and Stripes Forever" for the first time that evening at the Place de L'Opera. At the crescendo, Cappy and his co-color bearer started waving the flag. "Never have I heard such an ovation," he wrote. . My mother wrote that between guard duty, the guards played baseball against John Philip Souza's band and lost "when Sousa, running behind, brought out a keg of beer with the offer of a glass to any of his bandsmen who made a run."

Before becoming headmaster at Tabor, he was on the literature faculty and head football coach at Phillips Andover Academy. In 1909, he was the head coach of the Dartmouth Football Team. ( Dartmouth Big Green All Time Coaches -- Walter Huston Lillard, 1909)

While doing graduate work at Oxford, he traveled around England, giving lectures on American football at British Public Schools.

Cappy played undergraduate football for Dartmouth from 1902-1904, and he played in the game that opened Harvard Stadium. Dartmouth beat Harvard 11-0.

The team he played on was one of the first integrated Ivy League teams, with Left End African American Mat Bullock, who was also Phi Beta Kappa, on the Track team and sang in the Glee Club. In an article in the Dartmouth Alumni Magazine, Cappy told the story of how

"...the Princeton players sent unofficial word to the Dartmouth team that if Mat Bullock played they would take him out. It seemed incredible as a serious threat; but serious or not, our line-up remained unchanged. Only a few minutes after the game started, Mat ran down the field to cover a punt, made his tackle, and was piled on viciously. The result was a broken collar bone which kept him out of play for the rest of the season. It was a case of deliberate mayhem. There was no penalty imposed on the offending players."

A fight ensued between the Dartmouth and the Princeton players. The umpires asked my my grandfather to leave the field. But after consultation with the coach, Cappy went back on the field. He played the rest of the game, and the officials did not object.

In the 1930's, when one of his friends in the German academic world was arrested and imprisoned as an "enemy of the state", Cappy interrupted a trip to go himself to try to help. Through the US Consul in Berlin, he got permission from Himmler's office for him and the Consul to visit Dr. Morsbach. In the papers I found after her death, my Mother described how my grandfather and Dr. Reis "were picked up one morning in an SS official car, complete with SS driver and 'escort'. They were driven out to Magdeburg where my father got his first look at Hitler's early moves against the intelligentsia. Morsbach appeared before them in grey prison garb looking ill." My mother reports that the Consul saluted Morsbach, saying, "'His Excellency, the Ambassador for the United States, sends you his personal regards and very best wishes.' Taped as they must have been, the words must have gone back to Himmler. At any rate Dr. Morsbach was released shortly afterwards."

In 1946 and 1947, W. Houston Lillard served in Vienna, Austria, under the United Nations. As Chief of the Resettlement Division of the International Refugee Organization, he worked in the difficult job of finding homes for the refugees of World War II.

My mother's mother was Ethel Hazen Lillard (December 11, 1882 - September 2, 1983) She grew up in Hanover, NH, the daughter of Dartmouth engineering professor John Vose Hazen. A graduate of Smith College, she painted and collected folk art and was beloved by all her family.

Ethel Powers and Walter Powers, Sr.

My father's father, Walter Powers, (Dartmouth 1906, where he was manager of one of the first integrated Ivy League football teams; Harvard Law, 1909) was Chairman of the Board of the Massachusetts Bar Examiners and President of the Boston Bar Association. In his lifetime, he kayaked over 50,000 miles on the Charles River, The Seine, and the Thames.

His family was related to the famous 19th century American sculptor, Hiram Powers. (They were both descendents of Walter Powers, who settled in the Concord, MA area in the 17th century.) My grandfather, Walter Powers, was also a descendent of Elder John White, who was one of the original settlers of Cambridge, MA and Hartford, CT.

According to The New York Times ("Boston Bar Asks Inquiry, Court Investigation Requested on Conduct of Lawyers", The New York Times, November 30, 1948) Powers worked with the Attorney General to investigate unethical lawyers who were advising clients planning to commit crimes of what precautions to take.

From 1912-1915, he was Grand Commander of the Massachusetts branch of the United Order of the Golden Cross, the only such order that accepted women on an equal basis as men.

My father's mother, Ethel Carver Powers. worked for international relations between France and the USA and received the French Legion of Honor award.

....................................................... Judy Malloy