Norma’s Almond Crisps
(Slightly modified from the original New York Times recipe)
2 large egg whites
3/4 c powdered sugar (spoon and sweep)
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 c almond slices
1. Center a rack in the oven & preheat oven to 350. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats (I used Reynolds Wrap non-stick aluminum foil).
2. Place the egg whites in a large bowl, add the powdered sugar and salt and whisk the ingredients together just until the sugar is incorporated. Stir in the almond & vanilla extracts. Add the almonds and toss the ingredients with a spatula until the nuts are evenly coated.
3. Scoop 1 T clusters of the mixture (just slightly rounded) onto the prepared baking sheets leaving at least 1/2 inch between mounds.
4. Bake until the cookies are amber-gold and the undersides are not moist or sticky, around 13-15 minutes (mine took 15 minutes)
5. Leaving the cookies in place, put the baking sheets on a wire rack (I used the range top) and let cool about 5-7 minutes. Remove the cookies and place on a cooling rack until they’re completely cooled.
Can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to one week.
Yield: 3 dozen cookies
Back to Cooking Conference Home Page.