Articles About The WELL
The WELL community has developed over the last three decades as we have laughed, cried, argued, and communicated with each other. To learn more about the community, how it was formed, and how it has rolled with over three decades of changes, check out the following articles:
- Bernhard Pörksen, “Social Networks”, Die ZEIT Online, 30 March 2021. ‘Alle mit allen verbinden‘ ‘Connect everyone with everyone‘.
- Gail Ann WIlliams, “Lessons from the WELL + Making a World Where the Sun Rises the Next Morning”, Community Signal Podcast, 6 March 2017
- Molly Talbert, “The WELL, Where Online Community Began,” HigherLogic.com, 4 February 2016
- Howard Rheingold, “What The WELL’s Rise and Fall Tells Us About Online Community,” The Atlantic, 6 July 2012
- Cory Doctorow, “WELL Users Pledge More Than $100K to Community Buyout,” BoingBoing.net, 3 July 2012
- Nick Wingfield, “The WELL, a Pioneering Online Community, Is for Sale Again,” NYTimes.com, 29 June 2012
- Wendy Grossman, “You Own Your Own 20th Anniversary,” Philadelphia Inquirer, 8 April 2005
- “A Sense of WELL Being,” Salon.com, 31 March 2000
- Katie Hafner, “The Epic Saga of The WELL,” WIRED Magazine, May 1997
- Laurie and Steve Foster, “A New Dimension In Teleconferencing, THE WELL” MicroTimes Magazine, July 1985,Volume 2, Number 7, (an early mention of The Well, preserved by the Internet Archive )
Also, Chapter One of Howard Rheingold’s book ‘The Virtual Community: Homesteading on the Electric Frontier’ is all about The WELL.