Penne with Tuna Sauce
My own pasta sauce using canned tuna is:
4 cloves garlic, chopped
4-5 dried red chili peppers, broken up
1 can Italian tomatoes
12 chopped kalamata or other brine-cured olives, pitted and minced
1 can tuna (preferably packed in oil), drained
2 tablespoons minced fresh Italian parsley
1) Put some olive oil and the peppers in a pan and heat. When the oil is hot, put in the garlic and sautee for a minute or so — not too
2) Off the fire, put in the anchovies and mash them with a fork, stirring them around until they dissolve. Don’t worry, if you think you
hate anchovies, you’ll discover that these’ll just lend a wonderful background taste and you won’t notice. But they are essential.
3) Returnt to the fire, add the tomatoes and the chopped olives, bring to a boil, lower heat and cook over very low heat for about 20
4) After that, about the time you put the pasta in the pot, add the tuna, breaking it up with a fork and integrating it into the sauce.
5) Stir with the cooked pasta, adding the parsley. DO NOT USE CHEESE. Never. Not with fish. (Well, there are exceptions).
Serves 2 generously.
Back to Cooking Conference Home Page.